3rd Annual LaundryCares Literacy Summit Agenda
Celebrate, Sustain and Scale Laundromat-Based Early Literacy Programs
March 23-25, 2020
Union League Club of Chicago
“Unleashing the potential in every child through innovative early literacy promotion.”
DAY 1: Monday, March 23, 2020
5:00– 8:00pm Registration Open
6:00- 8:00pm Opening Session & Welcome Reception
DAY 2: Tuesday, March 24, 2020
7:00am Registration Open
7:30-8:00am “Breakfast & Bites” – Fuel up on great food and “bites” of knowledge with fellow participants.
8:00-8:55am Opening Presentation by Dr. Mariana Glusman
- Neuroscience and the Young Child’s: Why and How Language Matters
Renowned pediatrician and expert Dr. Mariana Glusman presents the correlation between early childhood language promotion and its impact on early brain development. Neuroscience is proving that meaningful parent-child interactions during the early years establishes a foundation for future success, ensuring children reach their full potential.
8:55-9:40am Keynote by Dr. Rosemarie T. Truglio
- Lessons from the Street: The Power of Parents and Informal Learning
Sesame Street: Beloved by all! Dr. Truglio highlights the powerful role parents and caregivers play and how they can use everyday moments and spaces to help children learn. She will draw upon her years of expertise, insights, and lessons learned as Senior VP of Curriculum and Content at Sesame Workshop, co-editor of G is for Growing: Thirty Years of Research on Children and Sesame Street, and author of her latest publication, Ready for School! A Parent’s Guide to Playful Learning for Children Ages 2 to 5.
9:40-10:00am “Coffee & Conversation”
10:00-10:30am Afternoon Presentation by Dave Broz, Principal, Gensler Architectural
- Importance of the Third Space
Early childhood literacy promotion in laundromats is just the beginning. Dave Broz explores the concept of the “third space.” A fourteen year veteran at Gensler, he is one of the firm’s Global Education Practice Area Leaders who heads up a team of over 250 designers focused on research-based design for educational environments. His team has published several research documents on how space can better support learning and transform the overall campus experience.
10:30-10:35am Video Presentation
10:35-11:30am Panel Conversation: Why Laundromats?
- Why Laundromats are Ideal Spaces to Engage Families and Early Learners
- Moderator: Brian Wallace, President & CEO, Coin Laundry Association
- Jim Whitmore, WSI Laundry Corporation (Gloucester, MA)
- Jane Wolfe, Wash World Laundromat (New Orleans, LA)
- Lisa Johnson, Giant Wash Laundries (Iowa/Minnesota)
- Brian Holland, The Laundry Café (Philadelphia, PA)
- Shaunta Gibbs, Riverworks Coin Laundry (Milwaukee, WI)
11:45-1:00 Networking Lunch
1:00-1:40 pm Research Presentation by Dr. Susan B. Neuman
- Latest Findings from an Evaluation of Chicago Laundromats
Over the past two years, Dr. Susan Neuman has spearheaded three research studies to explore the correlation and impact of early childhood literacy promotion in laundromats. Discover the positive outcomes possible when leveraging everyday spaces – like laundromats – as part of your outreach efforts.
1:40-2:40pm Panel Conversation: Let’s Talk About Community Engagement
- Highlights of Local Efforts to Engage Families & Communities through Laundromats
- Moderator: Elliot Weinbaum, Program Director, William Penn Foundation
- Tarasa Lown, Program Officer, Watertown Health Foundation & Tina Peerenboom, Children’s Librarian, Watertown Public Library
- Dea Wright, Director of the Office of Early Childhood Initiatives, City of Milwaukee
- Delores Connors, Literacy Specialist, Teaneck Public Schools
2:40-2:45pm Laundry Dance & Stretch
2:45-4:00pm Group Innovation Sessions
- Leveraging the Collective Power of Our Coalition to Scale a Successful National Outreach Program
4:00-6:00pm Film Screening & Producer Talk
- No Small Matters
Our future depends on our youngest citizens. On how many words they hear in their first months of life. On how often they are held. On the kinds of experiences they have. The importance of quality early care and education is widely accepted, so why do we continue to fail so many? No Small Matter is a feature-length documentary film and national engagement campaign that brings public attention to this vital question by sharing powerful stories and stunning truths about the human capacity for early intelligence and the potential for quality early care and education to benefit America’s social and economic future. We’ll dive deeper into the conversation with one of the producers of this powerful documentary and engagement campaign. https://www.nosmallmatter.com/
6:00-7:00pm Time on your own
7:00-9:00pm Dinner, Recognition and Awards Reception, Keynote Remarks by Ralph Smith
- The Transformative Role of Laundromats in Promoting School Success
Throughout his distinguished career, Ralph Smith has been a leader who brings together unusual allies. Ralph is the managing director of the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading, a national network of communities focused on ensuring children read on grade level by the end of third grade.
- Announcement of the First Annual Innovators Award in Laundry Literacy Partnerships
DAY 3: Tuesday, March 25, 2020
8:30-9:00am Breakfast with the Laundry Doctor
- Bring all your burning laundry-related questions!
9:00-9:45am Breakout Sessions: Morning Inspirations
- Sure-Fire Children’s Books to Share in Laundromats – Andrew Medlar, Book Ops Director, New York Public Library
- Families Support Early Learners – Dr. Sarai Coba-Rodriguez, University of Illinois-Chicago, Center for Early Literacy
- Everyday Puppets for Laundromat Learning-Marilyn Price
- Partnerships: Better Together – Watertown Health Foundation & Tina Peerenboom, Watertown Public Library
- Play Accelerates Learning-Liz Tertell, Erikson Institute
9:45-10am Coffee & Networking Break
10:00-11:15am Group Innovation Sessions:
- Creating Our Action Plans: How Can we Scale to 600 in 2020?
11:15-11:50am Closing Keynote by Honorable Ramona A. Gonzalez
- From laundromats to the Courthouse: How Our Work Can Lead to More Positive Outcomes for Our Nation’s Most At-Risk Children and Youth
11:50-1:00pm Closing Lunch: Coalition Commitments, Comments, and Bubble Salute!
Register to Attend
We invite you to click the button below to register yourself or yourself and a guest for the LaundryCares Literacy Summit 2020. Please feel free to call us at 630-953-7920 with questions about this event.