On November 11, 2020, Chenmed, a national senior healthcare organization, sponsored the “Lighter Loads” initiative supported by the LaundryCares Foundation. This one-day program featured free-laundry events hosted by fourteen laundromat owners in various parts of the country.
Participating laundromats include:
- My Sunny Day Laundry in Miami, FL
- Melba’s Wash World in New Orleans, LA
- Coin Laundry in New Orleans, LA
- 5 Laundry Land locations in Richmond, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake, VA
- 3 of The Laundry Café locations in Philadelphia, PA
- Laundromat at Westgate in Orlando, FL
- Linton Blvd Laundry in Palm Beach, FL
Together, 40,088 lbs of laundry were washed with 361 families served. Some locations offered gift bags and storytime. In one location, children’s book author Patrice Morgan Domino read aloud to the children of participating families.
Among the highlights of this multi-store, multi-community event was the fact that 1080 books were distributed to families to take home and add to their personal libraries to foster early childhood literacy.
Each location took careful measures to monitor an ensure safety including maintain social distancing, wearing protective equipment including face coverings and gloves, and maintaining a clean and disinfected environment according to the guidelines of local and national health authorities.
If your organization wants to explore opportunities with LaundryCares, or or more information about the LaundryCares Foundation, please contact us.Contact LaundryCares